3 Car Lockout Tips You Need to Know
Tow service professionals know that getting locked out of your car is never fun. Regardless of the time or place, it can be a frustrating situation to be in. Unfortunately, even with electronic keys and smart keys, car lockouts happen to the best of us. Below are some tips from a tow service professional on how to deal with a car lockout and prevent it from happening again in the future.
What to do When You Lock the Keys in the Car
When you realize that you have locked your keys in the car, don’t panic! Use these quick car lockout tips to get you back on your way.
1. Stay Calm and Check All Openings
Although your first reaction when you realize that you are locked out of your car may be to stress out and panic, take a deep breath instead. Acting out of panic can be more detrimental to the situation. Take a moment to calm yourself down and then check to see if any of the doors are unlocked.
You may get lucky with an unlocked rear door or unlocked trunk. Some car trunks have seats that are removable, allowing you to access the inside of your car. If all of your doors are locked, check to see if there are any open windows. You may be able to use a long object to press the window button and roll it down even more. From there, you can place your hand through the window to grab your keys or unlock the door.
2. Use Your Phone
If you have a new vehicle, it may have software that allows you to access your car with your phone. Some of these vehicles allow you to lock and unlock your car or remotely start your engine. There are also services like OnStar that can unlock your car through your phone.
If you have an Apple phone, you may have the feature called ‘Car Keys’ that you can add to your Wallet app. This is a digital version of your electric key fob. Should you have any of these digital keys or features, check to see if you can unlock your car that way.
3. Call a Tow Service
If you have tried the two tips above without any luck, you may have to call a tow service. A tow service crew can help you to gain access to your car if you are unable to. Make sure that you call a trusted tow service in your area like Santa Fe Tow Service.
How to Prevent Future Lockouts
Experiencing a lockout is not a pleasant experience. Take the following precautions to make sure that it doesn’t happen again.
- Keep a spare key in your purse, wallet, or bag.
- Keep a spare key at your workplace or with a close friend or family member. If you get locked out, you can easily call them or find a ride to your work in order to get the spare key.
- Make sure you replace the tiny battery inside your electronic key fob. A dead battery can be the cause of a lockout.
- Look into certain software or apps that can help you to electronically lock and unlock your care.
- Call the tow service professionals at Santa Fe Tow Service if you find yourself in a car lockout pickle. The Santa Fe team is here to help 24/7 and 365 days a year!